Sunday 20 January 2008

Los Sapos and my guide on the hills.

LOS SAPOS. Spanish for frog , toad as a rock here looks like one.




As I enjoyed my last walk, I decided to do another walk. This time it was to Los Sapos which is a collection of rocks and I sussed out the route to do on my own. When I got to the rocks, there was a guide giving an explanation. The rocks are so small that I could not help to overhear so I had the English problem of not wanting to butt in. All was solved when the guide beckoned me over. Anyway this was the Mayan birthing area. The lady lies in the gully in the rocks above, incense is burn on the flat area on the left and the baby is delivered on the flat rock at the front. Various other offerings are made to the gods. It was very interesting as otherwise I would have thought it was a pile of rocks.

When the others had left, there was me and a dog. Normally you stay well clear of dogs in Honduras but this had a collar on and looked well fed. So I said to him La Pintana which is the name of the nearby Chorti village that I was planning to walk onto. Anyway the dog trotted off so I thought I would follow and he led me there. After about 15 minutes of walking around the village and he was bossing all the other dogs there, we set off back but he wanted to go a different way. I went on a lovely walk by a stream, saw more exotic birds and ended up back at his home, the Hacienda where I had a relaxing drink and lunch.

My guide making sure I go the correct way at a footpath junction.


Here are some more snaps from the walk, I enjoyed cooling my feet off in the river. You can certainly see how fertile the land is around here and why the Mayans settled here.

1 comment:

sueandtony said...

It's one thing walking out and leaving 'er indoors, but really, fancy taking up with that young whippersnapper, even looks like me. Aggrieved, Ollie

PS Hope the lesson went well. Tony is drooling over the photos of the ruins. A definite case of Wish I Was There.