Thursday 17 January 2008

Copan Ruins

As I have been in Copan for over a week, I really should go and see the famous Mayan ruins here that give the town its name. They are a pleasant 1 km walk out of town and I went early in the morning when I hoped it would be quieter. The entrance to the ruins is made by walking through a grove that is covering up an old airstrip. It must have been something to land by the ruins. I was not really certain what to expect but when I walked into the Great Plaza, it certainly took my breath away. You could see why this is a world heritage site. What was also better, was that because it was so quiet, it felt very spirtual and had that spooky eerie feeling of following many such people over the ages. If you are ever nearby, you should go.

I was planning to take a guide which everybody recommends but I went straight to the entrance. It did not matter as I found that wondering around with a good guide book worked well as it increased the feeling of awe rather than somebody telling me the facts. I am planning to return because it is so good and I will have a guide next time.

Here are some snaps.



This is part of the residential area. There are other ruins around Copan of more residential areas. There were 20,000 people living in Copan during the reign of Smoke Jaguar *he was followed by 18 Rabbit* this was around 680 AD.

Another temple.











Looking down from the Acropolis on the Grand Plaza.







this is of the ball court which was a Mayan game with a rubber ball. There are several remains of ball courts in Copan vicinity. It is alleged that losers were decapitated as there was a ritualistic aspect to it. Maybe I should bear that in mind for Sunday night football.


Yes, lots of temples. The big feature is the heirogryphical staircase which is the longest writing in the Mayan world. However, it is protected from the elements so you do not get a good picture.







No comments: