Thursday 31 January 2008

Adventures in Tela Punta Sud

On Saturday morning I signed up for a trip to Punta Sud. This is a national park which is only accessible by boat. It is part of the reserve named after Jeanette Kawas who worked for many years to try to establish wildlife reserves in this area. There was great resistance to her work from some of the land owners and she was murdered defending the park. However, it is accepted now.

I went for a run but while I was having breakfast, the heavens opened. What I had not realised is that the North Honduran coast receives 150 inches of rain per year and it does not fall as a drizzle either. The meeting time was 7.45 at the tour office which was 3 blocks away from my hotel. I joined the throng gathered at the hotel door waiting for the rain to stop at 7.40. At 7.55, the rain looked as though it had slightly eased and being English, I ran for it. Even though I was wearing my waterproof from walking holiday I arrived absolutely soaked to the bone. As a burst in through the door, I could see a group of Germans who were absolutely dry, immaculate and looked at me as I was something the cat dragged in. We were joined by two honduran groups who arrived in cars. So I was feeling a bit out of place to put it mildly. Anyway, the rain stopped and off we went to the jetty to catch the boat.

The guy in charge (Ramon) said that we would have a 45 minute boat trip to the resort. The Germans confidently put the sun cream on whilst I hoped to dry out a little.
As we were leaving the wind got up and then the rain lashed down. I was sat at the front of the boat.









As we made our journey accross the sea, we were definately getting wet again, the boat hit the top of a wave and we were then in the air. The ladies screamed and the guys groaned when we hit the sea. When we landed in the water, it felt like being hit by a charging Rick Yapp at football. We had 45 minutes of this and it was great fun. I now see why JetSkis are popular. You were never quite sure when you were going to take off or plough on through so we all laughed when the screams petered off.






When we arrived at the reserve, we were taken on a hike. Now this was in theory to see the monkeys and other wildlife. All the wildlife was taking shelter and we saw one solitary monkey up a tree about 30 metres away. Of course, by now the Germans had joined me in being absolutely soaked. They did have a sense of humour though. While a lady took this snap of me, her husband was setting up a position to film the rest of the group trudging along looking pissed off as it would be great for his movie!




However, as it typical of the area, the storm blew over after an hour or so and our hike ended at the beach. Here we could lay out our wet clothes on the banana leaves, have a dip in the Caribbean. There is one family on the beach and they supply the visitors with a lovely lunch of fish. I had a steak from a King fish, yummy with fried plantains(banana). So as you can see, turned out alright in the end.

















___________________________________________________________________



























No comments: