Friday 11 April 2008

I know England had an earthquake but...




When I went to Antigua, I joined some of the other volunteers on a trip to the Pacaya volcano. There are several active volcanoes around Antigua. This was just after the earthquake in England. The group that I went with took you up in the evening so that you have sunset by the volcano. Afterwards, we had a picnic on the mountain, we all felt terribly cold and piled on the fleeces. The conversation in the group turned to the recent earthquake in England. The english guys (including me) expressed regret about missing the earthquake but the lady from San Francisco pulled us up by reminding

us that we should be careful what we wish for. Very true. She had been through two earthquakes and does not want to repeat the experience. Anyway, I doubt if you can get this close to a volcano in the western world, close enough for sticking marshmallows on the end of a stick. What was also surprising, was the number of people who were going to camp on the mountain. Some people expressed surprise with all the noxious gases around. Anyway, all in all, it is very impressive.









No comments: