Sunday 6 April 2008

End of Visit

All good things have to come to an end. I had these plans for my last week in Copan but they came to nothing as I went down with a stomach bug on Monday evening. It certainly knocked me over, so much so that I was in the local clinic on Wed afternoon attached to a drip. As I was planning to start my trip home on Friday at 12 midday with a 6-7 hour trip to Guatemala, this was not a good sign. However, David can be quite determined at times and with the boost from the drugs, I had made a good enough recovery to make the trip. Indeed, I also managed to get a tuk-tuk up to the school to say goodbye to the kids. The 20 minute bumpy ride in a suspension free vehicle certainly tested my delicate constitution. It was certainly a different way to leave in a tuk-tuk with the kids waving goodbye. They had made me a wonderful farewall card and lovely get-well cards. Lucy was very kind and gave me a bag of San Rafael coffee (it was on my souvenier shopping for the last week which did not happen) and a SalvaVida T-shirt.

My fragile state was probably ideal for the 13 hour plane journey to Madrid(via Panama) which seemed to pass OK except that my bag did not appear on the carousel at Heathrow. Iberia delivered it the following evening which was great.

Now that I am back in England, I am delighted and yet I also want to be in Copan. I think I left more than the contents of my stomach in Copan. I know the kids have many volunteers who teach them (Darcey has taken over from me and I hope that she has a great time with them also) but I like to think that they will remember me in the future.

I may have some photos taken by the others that they may well post to me when convenient (fast internet connection) so I may update the blog if and when these arrive.

To all that I met in Copan, thank you very much for your love and my sincere best wishes for whatever you do in the future.

___________________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey David,
Sorry to hear about your illness during the last week of your stay in Copan.

I am home as well (April 3rd), doing my tax and gone back to work.

You must be enjoy some "real" food now. I was tired of Mexican food near end of my trip.

Copan and San Cristobal de Las Casas (Chiapas, Mexico) are my favorite towns during my trip.

I am sure the kids will remember you.

Anyway, take care of yourself! And keep me informed of your future adventure!